The OAG's recommendations
Case study for students: Meeting demand for drinking water.
The OAG recommended that all local authorities look for opportunities to:
- improve the efficiency of their current supply systems, using benchmarks to measure progress
- improve the data used for forecasting, especially data on water use
- use more tools to assess how reliable their forecasts are (for example, by putting past data through the forecasting model to see whether the resulting forecast is close to actual water use)
- better evaluate the costs and benefits of possible supply and demand strategies
- prepare plans that include a range of sustainable supply and demand strategies.